What is placenta encapsulation?
Placenta encapsulation is the process of dehydrating and grinding the placenta into a course powder, which is then placed into small capsules for you to consume, similar to how you would a vitamin. This process begins as early after birth as possible, but still can occur if the placenta has been frozen for some time.
Why should I encapulate my placenta?
Placenta capsules may:
- Help to balance your hormones
- Replenish depleted iron levels
- Increase milk production
- Reduce post-natal bleeding
- Increase your energy levels
- Make for a happier, more enjoyable post-natal period
- Assist the uterus to return to its pre-pregnancy state
Specifically, the placenta is composed of beneficial hormones, chemicals, iron, and proteins. These healing substances include:
- Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone: Contributes to mammary gland development in preparation for lactation; stabilizes postpartum mood; regulates post-birth uterine cramping.
- Prolactin: Promotes lactation; increases milk supply; enhances the mothering instinct.
- Oxytocin: Decreases pain and increases bonding in mother and infant; counteracts the production of stress hormones such as Cortisol; greatly reduces postpartum bleeding; enhances the breastfeeding let-down reflex.
- Prostaglandins: Regulates contractions in the uterus after birth; helps uterus return to its pre-pregnancy size.
- Iron: Replenishes maternal iron stores to combat anemia. Increases energy; decreases fatigue and depression.
- Hemoglobin: Oxygen-carrying molecule which provides a boost in energy. Learn more at Placenta Wise
For more information on the benefits of placenta, visit:
Kathy is a Placenta Encapsulation Specalist
Why you should choose a specialist
Unless otherwise requested, I will perform the encapsulation process entirely in your home. This allows my work to be completely transparent and for you to ensure that all guidelines are properly followed.
The benefits of a specialist include:
- PBi Specialists know WHY placenta is helpful for postpartum recovery – they have read the research and can explain everything to you in an evidence-based manner. They also know under which conditions a placenta can be encapsulated, so if you have questions about your particular situation, you have someone to call to get those answers. Once you have your capsules, they can give you dosing guidelines, capsule care instructions, and most importantly, when NOT to take the placenta capsules! Follow-up care is extremely important, and PBi Specialists provide very high quality of care.
- You can be positive that the placenta you consume is your own. There is no possibility for a mix-up, as your placenta does not leave your home. Should you request the services to be completed in my home I can ensure only one encapsulation at a time with each placenta clearly identified and stored in separate locations.
- You can be sure that your placenta is handled safely. The placenta is considered a bio-hazard and this is an organ that you will be consuming. There is an element of caution and concern to be taken when dealing with the process. Placenta encapsulation, and utilizing the placenta for postpartum recovery is something that must be done properly and safely, and within government regulations. PBi Specialists adhere to strict OSHA and EPA guidelines for safe handling and disinfection. PBi has sent their Standard Operating Procedures into the FDA, so they are fully aware of how PBi Specialists operate.
Personally, I have completed an OSHA bloodborne pathogens course and an Ohio Food Handlers certification. You can view those certificates under my qualifications tab
Read more benefits for a specialist here
The process was quick, sanitary, and thorough. Everything she does is [completed] with so much care and attention to detail.Stephanie R.
Beyond the Bump Packages
Salve Add On
- fully prepared placenta in capsule form
- instructions for consumption
Tincture Add On
- A long-term solution for the benefits of encapsulation long after your capsules are gone. More information can be found here.
[Kathy] was able to answer all of my questions and provide research and facts about placenta encapsulation. Once I discovered all of the wonderful benefits, I was convinced to make it part of my birthing experience. Kathy made me feel confident in my decision to try placenta encapsulation without feeling pressured. She also was very considerate in arranging for her to return the pills without interrupting our first few days of becoming a family.Kaylee B.
The information on this page has not been evaluated by the FDA. Beyond the Bump Services does not intend to make medical treatment claims. Services provided are not clinical, pharmaceutical, or intended to diagnose or treat any condition. Families who choose to utilize the services on this page take full responsibility for their own health and capsule usage.